Thursday 21 June 2012

DIY Disney Map Pen-Pot.

When we went to Disneyland in March I brought 4 maps back with me, as keepsakes. I dug them out of the cupboard on Monday and noticed they were getting damaged, creases getting scuffed and corners torn.


And so I made the decision to recycle them into something where I could see them everyday and they wouldn't be just stuck in a box, bag or cupboard. 




I save all-sorts of junk from around our house with the intention of crafting it up somehow, someday! 
Well, on Monday I located a couple of Bisto gravy granules tubs and decided that it was their turn to be made-over. 

If you look in the background of this picture, on top of the orange notebook you will see the first almost-finished pen-pot. I forgot to take pictures the first time around - oops.



Here's one of the maps I started with. They are obviously too big to use both on one pot so I used the Disneyland Park Map on one pot and the Disney Studios Park Map on the other. Even just one map was too big for my pots so I had to try and choose the best area of the map. I obviously chose Sleeping Beauty's Castle to take centre stage.


If you cut a flat edge at the bottom of your map it will make it lots easier to wrap it around your Bisto pot to cut around the top. 


Once you have measured your map to the size you need, stick it to the gravy pot using a glue stick. (You could use PVA Glue if you wanted but I wanted something that stuck quickly!)

At this stage it's possible you may need to trim your map even more. I definitely did as I have an unsteady hand at times and I stuck my map on a bit wonky. I just trimmed it with my scissors and that was that.

To really protect the map now I need to coat it in a PVA solution but even now I haven't done as I have nothing to spread it with! I need a paintbrush. As soon as I get one it shall be coated and shiny and more heardwearing.


With pens.


I have to say that I'm rather pleased with the way they turned out even though they're still not finished.


The one on the left shows where the crease had started to wear. The left pot is the Disney Studios Map, the one on the right is the most popular Disneyland Park - both in Paris.

I love these especially because I can look at them on my desk whilst I'm working and be instantly transported into those memories.

I'm currently on the lookout for more crafts for my Disney maps, for the first time Pinterest has failed me!! I'll just be using my imagination instead although I do have something in mind that is kind of Pinterest inspired.



I hope you'll come back tomorrow for another post.
Love,
Kaye xx


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaye,
    My Name is Robert and I run the Disney Craft Blog. I saw this on Pinterest. I would love to feature that project or another of your Disney inspired projects on my website. If it wouldn’t be to hard could you please fill out the form on my website so I am able to feature your project on my blog.

    The Address is http://www.disneycraftblog.com/submit-a-disney-craft/
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
    DisneyRob

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment, I will always try and reply. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my blog.